Thursday, August 09, 2012

Rendezvous


Thanks to my wife Priyanka, i am not pronoucing it ren-dez-vus....

Where were we......Flash back - I got a call to BBSR....acronym from Bhubaneswar.

MBA had taught me many things. Doing an ROI analysis was one of them. Flight tickets would have cost me a bomb and that factored with the marriage not happening would have made this trip useless. So the minimum investment of 2

Reached Home - I was sure that no temple would have been left untouched by my mom in her act to plead god to make everything fall in place. Before i could settle down, i was given an entire checklist by her of behaviour competencies to be put on display for attaining the perfect result. Could definitely get the generation gap between transistors era and "transformers" era.

For the formal invitation, father of the prospective bride came to invite for us the morning hours. It was a simple invitation to visit their places where both the parents will meet and we will get to see the "insurance agent" - the name given by one my friend on knowing that the prospective bride is working for a insurance company. My father had out rightly rejected my innovative proposal to meet in person ALONE with the prospective bride alone in at a newly opened coffee joint at BBSR. Even though he considered it blasphemous, but to showcase his modern day thinking he tossed up this idea. In order to outdo each other, my father in law proposed that we should be talking to each other alone in a single room and we can lock ourselves to maintain our privacy. Before this discussion could go any further, I agreed to go their house with everyone and meet up with bride without any innovate meeting engineering.

Evening time, before i could reach my prospective bride's house, there was a plethora of  "Congratulations", "All the best" and "It happens" wishes from my colleagues on my newly acquired mobile phone. My sister was given the charge to pinch me in case i go on a binge on the good food that will be served. Last time, she was not there and i ended asking for an extra samosa. We were ceremoniously ushered to the meeting room. Then followed the deluge of hygiene questions -  Job, work, hobby and habits. I could imagine myself as the neo of matrix evading the bullets by bending my back to extreme - How long will it take them to uncover that i had worst possible combination of all the asked criteria. May be they were a family of doctors and hence were not aware of what an IT professional does. Then came the bride with water. Hope they don't ask her to sing - It may result in somebody asking to return the favor which could have opened a new feat in ripley's believe it or not.

As promised by my father in law, we were asked to go to a room and chat. As a precaution, i asked my sister accompany me and promised myself that i should not give any such ideas to my dad in future to be tweaked like this. Then the second round of rendezvous - I heard ladies were chatter box and i was seeing it now. All the things were covered under this half an hour - Career aspirations, boss bitching, good insurance plans and Rang de basanti were some of the items covered. No marriage talks and i was again lamenting about the return flight ticket investment. One more miss.

My mother was the worst casualty. She had just dreamt of her 10th castle and it crashed. My Dad started giving me Pep talk. He should have been the hockey coach of the recent Indian Hockey Team. I was supposed to fly the other day. Evening was spent talking to all my friends about another missed opportunity. I called my friend in Bangalore that nothing is happening and spread the news across everyone so that nobody "congratulates" me on reaching Bangalore.

Next morning, the telephone rang.

PART 3: MORE CONFUSION






No comments: