Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Bride Hunting


Migrating some blogs from other sites...

Bride Hunting


This is the series of stories

It was the middle of Hot summer June of 2006. It was a regular day with its regular set of activities. I came to office late and was preparing myself for my daily coffee. I was about to press the "CTRL ALT DEL" button, i got an yahoo notification that i have received a mail from my Dad with subject as Photo. It was his regular monthly update. Oh. Let me clarify.

The photo mails were the mails which my dad sent for the prospective bride. He had been religiously sending me these mails from Jan 2005. I really admired his perseverance and punctuality. After carefully avoiding initial photo mails, it took a crying session from my mom to look into the June edition. As i opened the mail, the office internet speed also accentuated my eagerness to have a look at the prospective bride photo.

My system hung which was a common phenomenon. As i rebooted, i went to the cafeteria with Vikas my colleague to fetch a cup of warm coffee. We broke into a conversation about office politics as usual. But i was incessantly thinking about the PC, whether it has properly been booted or did it die once again. My eagerness was quite obvious to my colleague who generously asked me to go back and carry on with any urgent deliverable my mind was occupied with. I took the opportunity and immediately went back to find that the machine has properly booted and was waiting for me to open the explorer again to log in to my mail account. I again went through the log in rituals and opened the new mail sent by Dad. The content read as " Priyanka Mohanty, MBA, Bajaj Insurance , Delhi. using my cognitive ability i could decipher that the name of the prospective bride was priyanka, she has done her MBA, and she works with Bajaj insurance in Delhi. Quite impressive profile for me being a typical Oriya nerd. Now came the important part - Opening the attachment. As i saved the attachment and opened it , i saw a simple girl standing in a smiling position. Before i could observe her facial features, i was disturbed by boss who was standing behind me.
He always considered himself the most intelligent person ever to walk on this earth. On seeing the picture in my computer, with his typical smile he quipped that " your sister looks a lot like you. Are you looking out for a prospective groom for her". He knew i had a sister.

I clarified to him that it was not my sisters picture and told him the entire story. He was very happy. To show how happy he was, he shouted to every one in my department who were sitting around me to come and see the pic of the girl to whom i was getting married too!!!!. Everyone came and congratulated me. And i spent the entire clarifying the exact story to everyone that it was "prospective" bride and nothing has been been fixed.

Later that day , my Dad had called me to come to Bhubaneswar sometime later that month as my prospective bride would also be coming during that tenure. The day later he confirmed the exact dates and instructed me to book the tickets accordingly. The day i left for Bhubaneswar my mail box was flooded with " All the best wishes" from everyone from my office. How come they did they know that i needed that the most. Premonition....

to be continued..........

PART 2: RENDEZVOUS



2 comments:

TDM The Daily Motivation said...

Subhankar, amazing piece of writing. You have a very natural, gifted flair for writing.You share a friendly bonding with words. Keep writing. Thank you.

zaphod beeblebrox said...

Haha. I probably know a little bit of what happened next - especially, the part when you met up with Ritesh and me at Bhubaneswar. Little did I know you would get married to the "interrogator". But, it has been a happy married life for both. Best wishes, man!