Monday, August 27, 2012

More Confusion

PART 1: BRIDE HUNTING PART 2: RENDEZVOUS

The telephone rang.

Everything in this world is forced to a formal ending. Same had to be the case of this failed tryst. Nothing worked out as per the plan, the meeting supposedly failed like a pack of cards. So it was decided by the parents, of course, that the boy and the girl should have telephonic conversation to see if things can be worked out again.

After continuous pestering and cajoling, I agreed. I was confident that the girl would have also undergone the same fate. Now the key question was who will call whom. Before i could ask my father that the girls family should be calling, he had dialed in the number and handed me the handset. The girl was on the other end. After one minute of cold silence, a flurry of questions followed about what made me think that it was not working.

For the first time, i confessed up the first and the only reservation i had for this marriage. The girl was about five years younger to me and that was playing on my mind. She quipped that girls generally go for Mature Minds.Knowing myself well, i replied back that she might be making a mistake as "age does not guarantee maturity". That somewhat cleared the air for me but did manage to put some doubt in her mind. Now she wanted to think again and get back to me whether she is ready for this relationship. Genuinely cursing my tongue for making this stupid quip, i shared my mobile number on which she would be electronically messaging me the result of her thought process. She did not share her number.

I flied back to Bangalore. Two days passed by. It felt like ages to me as i was eagerly waiting for that coveted SMS. May be my killer statement would have made her look for guys closer to age group. Almost made up my mind for this failed attempt - after all she was a kid. She must be in school when i would have entered the engineering course. Still at some remote corner, some hope for the SMS was there. With this heavy heart, i went to a sports pub for the football quarter final match between my favorite team Argentina and Germany - it was 2006 football world cup. Argentina was putting up a great play and the match was down to the wire - the penalty shoot out.

Just before the penalties, I got an SMS from an unknown number - " I am sending this for the second time, why didn’t you call me back". Argentina lost and i was feeling ecstatic. Suddenly another contrary thought, one sms and your fave team lost - will it be the case going forward. I stayed with the positive thought. In my utter excitement, i called her back immediately without realizing that it was past 11 o'clock night. May be the intoxication of beer contributed to it. She hesitantly took the call with an warning that it will not entertained in days to come. Later on,my burgeoning telephone bills negated the same warning.

Apparently, she had sent a formal SMS that she was Ok with the relationship the next day itself and i should have called her to confirm that i was still interested. As i did not receive the SMS and did not reply, she took that i was not proceeding for the relationship. It was at the behest of one of her close friends that she sent the second SMS as a final good bye message.

I still think about what would have happened had her friend not asked her to message again. Maybe it was destined like that as we got married and we have been blessed with a little angel. I am writing this for the little one so that when she grows up, she can read all this.

And there are more stories in store for the new one. Some in person and some in writing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

nice one subhankar bhai. I am sure you would have thanked her best friend.

zaphod beeblebrox said...

Gawd, Subu. i did not there was so much drama behind it. Well written :) I had only read the first part - not the other 2.

kalpataru45 said...

well written.

sukhi_area said...

liked the second and third part more than the first one

Avipsa said...

Awesome..just inspires me to start writing....that is true...your lil one will love you for this...
Avipsa